Adjunct Associate Professor, Morehouse School of Medicine
Camara Phyllis Jones, M.D., M.P.H., Ph.D.
SENIOR FELLOW, Satcher Health Leadership Institute and Cardiovascular Research Institute
ADJUNCT ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, Community Health & Preventive Medicine, Morehouse School of Medicine
Dr. Jones is a family physician and epidemiologist whose work focuses on the impacts of racism on the health and well-being of the nation. She seeks to broaden the national health debate to include not only universal access to high quality health care, but also attention to the social determinants of health (including poverty) and the social determinants of equity (including racism).
- HONORS AND AWARDS
2012: Senior Fellow in Health Disparities Research – W. Montague Cobb/National Medical Association (NMA) Health Institute
- 2011: John Snow Award – Epidemiology Section, American Public Health Association and the Royal Society for Public Health
- 2010: Distinguished Service Award – Georgia State Medical Association
- 2010: Presidential Citation – Society for Public Health Education
- 2009: Hildrus A. Poindexter Distinguished Service Award – Black Caucus of Health Workers, American Public Health Association
- 2009: Nominee, Charles C. Shepard Science Award – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Nominated in the category “Assessment and Epidemiology” for the publication:
- Jones CP, Truman BI, Elam-Evans LD, Jones CA, Jones CY, Jiles R, Rumisha SF, Perry GS. Using “socially assigned race” to probe White advantages in health status. Ethnicity and Disease 2008;18(4):496-504.
- 2009: Fellow – American College of Epidemiology
- 2008: Delegate to the 2008 Democratic National Convention – Elected by Democratic voters of Georgia’s 5th Congressional District
- 2006: Fulbright Senior Specialists Roster – US Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs
- 2006: Inspirational Women: Signatures of Success honoree – Nu Lambda Omega Chapter, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority
- 2005: Leadership Atlanta, Class of 2006
- 2003: David Satcher Award – Association of State and Territorial Directors of Health Promotion and Public Health Education